Everybody’s doing it now… looking back on the last decade and waxing eloquent on the most memorable moments and events. I thought I’d do some of my own reflecting on the last decade.
In the last decade:
- 2000 – We survived Y2K and started our first full year of ministry in New Castle, Pa.
- 2001 – I graduated with an M.Div. from Reformed Presbyterian Theological Seminary.
- 2002 – Lexington Nicole was born.
- 2003 – Reagan Brianna was born.
- 2004 – We resigned from Arlington Avenue First Free Methodist Church in New Castle, PA because we had been appointed to a church in New York.
- 2005 – I served as lead pastor at Northgate church in Batavia, New York.
- 2005 – Dallas Brooke was born.
- 2006 – I graduated with an M.S. in Professional Leadership from St. Bonaventure University.
- 2007 – Ashton Renee was born.
- 2007 – God called us to plant a church so we resigned from Northgate.
- 2007 – Sherri and I celebrated our first decade of marriage.
- 2007 – 2008 We did a one year church planting internship at Mountain Lake Church in Atlanta Georgia (in conjunction with churchplanters.com)
- 2008-2009 – We moved to Cincinnati to plant Walls Down Church.
- 2009 – Walls Down Church did not happen.
- 2009 – After much prayer and exploring multiple opportunities we felt God calling us to Rock Hill, SC to re-launch an existing church plant.
- 2009 – Karis Ainsley was born.
During the last decade we have had five children, pastored three churches, earned two masters degrees, failed at one church plant, and lived in five states.
Over the last decade we have:
- Stayed in love
- Seen God provide in amazing ways
- Been stressed to the maximum level
- Been humbled in failure
- Developed deeper confidence in Christ
- Made lots of new friends
- Had our vision refined and clarified
As I look forward to the next decade these are some things I hope for:
- A maturing faith in Christ evidenced by large vision and bold action.
- Another ten years with Mrs. Peterson.
- Another child.
- That the 2020 “Decade in Review” blog post will find us in Rock Hill, SC.
- That we will have multiple churches planted out of our church in Rock Hill.
- That I will have accomplished a list of personal goals that I have written in my journal.
- That friendships will be deepened.
So how about you, what are the big things that have happened in your life over the last decade?