Say “NO” immediately.
- “We must be watchful, especially in the beginning of the temptation; for the enemy is then more easily overcome, if he be not suffered to enter the door of our hearts, but be resisted at the very gate, on his first knocking.” Thomas ‘a Kempis
Remember that every temptation has an escape route
- “…remember that the temptations that come into your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will keep the temptation from becoming so strong that you can’t stand up against it. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you will not give in to it.” (1 Corinthians 10:13 NLT)
Memorize Scripture that addresses your most vulnerable points.
- “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” (Psalm 119:11 NIV)
Be careful when you are helping other people with their struggles.
- Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted. (Galatians 6:1 NIV)
Call out to Jesus when you are tempted.
- “…it was necessary for Jesus to be in every respect like us, his brothers and sisters, so that he could be our merciful and faithful High Priest before God. He then could offer a sacrifice that would take away the sins of the people. 18 Since he himself has gone through suffering and temptation, he is able to help us when we are being tempted.” (Hebrews 2:17-18 NLT)