I submit to you the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Parenting (with regards to John Maxwell and his 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership).
- Someone will poop right when you’re late and running out the door.
- Someone will run naked into your living room when you are entertaining guests.
- Someone will throw your cell phone into the bathtub… at least once.
- Someone will hide your keys and forget where they are.
- Someone will make funny comments about “certain body parts”… publicly.
- You will have to touch poop.
- You will be the couple no one wants to sit next to in the restaurant… at least once.
- You will feel like quitting… at least once.
- You will have to continually evaluate and revise your parenting style.
- You will wonder whether or not spanking is the best option.
- They will act like you.
- They will accept your apology.
- They will make you laugh.
- They will teach you about grace.
- They will come up with the most creative places to hide food they don’t want to eat.
- At least once they will cut their own hair with sharp, adult-only objects.
- At least once they will get a bruise that looks for sure like child abuse.
- At least once they will make you curse (at least in your head).
- At least once they will throw themselves screaming to the ground.
- At least once they will make loud, obnoxious body noises… and people will think it was you
- Being a parent is the highest title of honor and the best experience… ever. Even God chose to refer to Himself as “Father.”
I am continually humbled, angered, challenged, overwhelmed, grateful, and excited about being a parent! I have learned more about God, myself, leadership, relationships, etc. since I’ve been a parent than ever before! I love this phase of life!
How about you? How’s the parenting journey coming along?
Do you have any “irrefutable laws” of your own?