I mean, when was the last time you thought deeply about where you are spiritually.Financially. Physically. Emotionally. When did you last time you gave thought to the relationships you are involved in, for instance, your marriage, kids, friends, etc.
When was the last time you thought about where you are, how you got here, where you are going next, and how you are going to get there?
I am realizing that many adults end up where they are and then wonder how they got there!
They got busy with life. One thing led to another. Multiple voices and roles making demands on their attention, money, energy, and passion… and before you know it they end up disheveled, confused, frustrated and feeling like they’ve been dropped off in a jungle… far away from the life they imagined in their early years.
Know anyone like that?
I find it helpful from time to time to sit down and think about my life; to intentionally walk away from the dings, rings, beeps, and tweets and just think.
When I think, much of what I see I am happy with, but there are some areas that have been left unattended… and I’m not happy with them. These are areas that I may have overlooked had I not sat down and thought about my life.
Here are a few areas to think about in your life:
- Spiritually – how is everything on the inside? Is the private me different than the public me? What role does God play in my life?
- Physically – am I taking care of my body? Do my sleep, exercise, and eating habits give me the energy I need to live a full life?
- Financially – How’s the money thing going? Do I tell my money where to go at the beginning of the month, or do I wonder where it went at the end of the month?
- Relationally – Do I love people? When was the last time I encouraged someone… showed them I cared about them?
- Professionally – Am I getting better at my job? Do I love it? Do I need to make a change?
I’m sure there are more questions you can come up with… and that’s the point. It’s your life… ask your questions!
Four questions that will help guide this process are these:
- Where am I?
- How did I get here?
- Where do I want to be?
- How will I get there?
I pray that as you think about your life that you find joy, and if not, I pray that you will find hope!